50 Things Every Girl Needs This Summer
50. Something in polka-dot print. If you ask me, polka-dots are the ultimate summer print — yes, even more than florals! There’s something wonderfully optimistic about polka-dots, & they make people so happy.
49. A bright satchel to carry your essentials. Banish your black handbag to the back of the closet until winter comes a-knocking. For spring & summer, you need a bright, light bag for toting around your knick-knacks.
48. A fantastic pair of sunglasses. Not only are they the ultimate fashion accessory, they also stop you from constantly squinting your eyes, which means (theoretically?!) that you will be less crinkle-eyed as you age!
47. A pair of t-strap heels. They’re perfect with sundresses & best of all, they’ll stay on your feet!
46. A Fujifilm Instax camera. I adore mine! It travelled with us to Paris & Reykjavik, & we got such great mileage out of it. It’s also a marvellous way to document your spring/summer, which is going to be the best ever, RIGHT?!
45. Candy-coloured nailpolish, or fun nail stickers. I am obsessed with press-on designs, like Sally Hansen, Sephora by OPI, & Minx. My Minx pink cheetah nails were the happiest manicure I’ve ever had! Minx can get expensive but honestly, the Sally Hansen & Sephora alternatives are just as good, actually (in my experience) last longer, & are much less costly!
44. A wonderful new perfume, precisely because you want to smell intoxicating & enchanting when you’re getting close to that someone special!
43. Feather earrings. What could be more definitive of summer than a pair of feather earrings? (Nothing, that’s what!)
42. Stripes. Embrace the stripes! You can wear ’em so many ways — make them nautical, make them French, make them Burton… Whatever you decide, do it with a big dose of attitude!
41. A fantastic mixtape (or playlist, you kids!) featuring your favourite hits from the ’70s, ’80s & ’90s! Summer isn’t summer without a soundtrack… So hop to it!
40. A bottle of really good sunscreen (that you can wear under your foundation!). My vote is for Neutrogena’s Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock. I recommend it every summer for a reason! It’s lovely, it dries quickly, & it won’t block your pores. It’s wonderful for wearing under make-up, & you can even buy tiny little bottles, perfect for throwing in your handbag.
39. A getaway, because no matter how fab it is wherever you are, the grass is always greener! My suggestion? Grab your best friend, book a ticket or rent a car, & just escape for a week. You’ll feel like a totally new person by the time you get back!
38. An asssortment of sundresses. They’re the ultimate summer uniform. From overdyed slips layered with t-shirts to fabulous fit & flare frocks from the ’50s, they’re a perfect no-brainer. Just throw them on, pick a pair of shoes, & go! (Etsy & eBay are my favourite sources for unique dresses!)
37. A bright, colourful headscarf for disguising bad hair days. You can cover your entire head with it, fold it into a thin strip & wear like a headband, or even twist it up into a turban style. Why not have a signature scarf this season?
36. A flirtation with a longer length skirt. Don’t be afraid of the maxi-skirt (or even one which hits you at mid-shin, called “tea length”)! They are wonderful, elegant & flattering, no matter your height. I bought a black suede tea length skirt on eBay a couple of months ago & have pretty much been wearing it non-stop since then!
35. A new haircut. Summer is the perfect time to experiment with a new ‘do! I feel like cutting your hair is symbolic of a fresh start, & a way of casting off all your old baggage. It marks the welcoming of a bold new age!
34. Someone to kiss. …Preferably someone cute, smart, & 100% worth your time! Although, I always liked this quote…
33. Healthy but tasty snacks!
32. A (non-plastic) water bottle. There are about a trillion reasons not to use plastic water bottles, not least of which are the devastating impact they have on the environment & the fact that the chemicals in the plastic sneak into your water! Gross!
31. Some mints for your handbag, but choose wisely! Most mints contain terrifying ingredients, like aspartame, & chewing gum is terrible for your digestive system.
30. Cute tank tops to tuck into high-waisted skirts. I like to (somewhat obsessively) browse eBay & Etsy looking for fun vintage ones — I recently picked up an amazing knitted Betsey Johnson tank, which is pink & red, with “S&M” stitched on the front, for $12!
29. A new favourite drink. Whether it’s wine, beer, a special cocktail or even a fancy non-alcoholic lemonade, everyone needs some kind of ritzy tipple. Bring back cocktail hour within your home! Become a grog genius… A mistress of the martini!
28. A fantastic clutch. I am a little obsessed with clutches — I blame Kelly of The Glamourai. When we were in Vegas, she was running around looking all chic with her selection of clutches, while I felt like a disorganised mess with my oversized handbag! Shortly thereafter, I bought my first clutch — vintage, from the ’50s, clear lucite with rhinestones! — & I’ve never looked back.
27. Just a little bit of fake tan.
26. A truly fantastic pair of heels (preferably with a bit of sparkle). Summertime calls for magic, & it’s a well-documented fact that a pair of spellbinding shoes increases your miracle quotient by at least 1000%!
25. Prtty Peaushun Skin Tight Body Lotion! I know, I know, the name is a little on the silly side — but it doesn’t matter when it nets you results like this! Will you just look at that photo of Tracy Anderson wearing it?!
24. Friendship bracelets. My new obsession, but only fancy friendship bracelets! I’ve been layering them up with my sparkly watch (pictured!), & wearing several on a wrist.
23. Super-cute ankle socks with designs a-plenty. Yes ma’am! I love wearing patterned ankle socks with Mary Jane platforms, it looks so cute & finished, & you have much less chance of rubbing a big blister on your heel. Bonus!
22. A Sharpie in your handbag so you can scrawl your phone number on the arms of cute girls/boys you meet in the street. Putting your number into someone’s phone is too modern; go retro!
21. A class which expands your mind. As wonderful as it would be to spend all summer lying in a deck-chair, a popsicle in one hand & your iPod in another, what will really make this summer exceptional is taking a class or two in something which intrigues you.
20. A dry brush to keep your skin in tip-top condition
19. A calling/business card which says what you do. Look, you’re undoubtedly going to meet a huge handful of people this summer. You might as well give them something to remember you by! So, fire up Photoshop & start designing yourself something fab!
18. Miniature bottles of champagne in your refrigerator at all times. You never know when — or what! — you might need to celebrate! It’s best to be prepared!
17. A selection of wonderful hats. I would be lost without mine! Ideal on bad hair days, perfect when it’s windy, & invaluable when you actually don’t want anyone to see your face!
16. A night under the stars. Put up a tent in your backyard, lie out on your rooftop with your best friend, or sleep on the beach with your new lover. Whatever you decide, be sure to make wishes on shooting stars!
15. Fresh flowers in your house, constantly. They make such a fabulous impact & add instant cheer to a room.
14. A pool party. Surely, this one needs little explanation?!
13. Regular brunch dates with your favourite people.
12. Flowers for your hair. They add definite pizazz to any outfit, & trust me when I say that they will make you smile!
11. Teeth-whitening strips. I am obsessed with these. (Fake tan & white teeth — I really AM becoming American! Haha!) My favourite type are the Crest 3D Professional whitening strips, they really do whiten your teeth. The key is simply in using them consistently!
10. A pair of ears. Look, summer just isn’t summer without them.
9. A mantra. I like this one. It works. Some of my other favourites are on my heroes & wisdom pinboard!
8. Dry shampoo. ESSENTIAL for summer, ’cause who wants to wash & dry their weave every day?! Not this girl!
7. A piece of paper scrawled with all the things you’d like to do. Somehow, making “summer goals” is more fun than making goals for the entire year. Start yours now! My list includes learning how to kickstart a motorcycle, sneaking into a rooftop pool & visiting a water-park! (I can’t wait!)
6. A visit to the aquarium.
5. A bikini, & many trips to the beach. Everyone needs a great swimsuit! (By the way, did you know that in New Zealand we call them “togs”, & in Australia they call it your “cossie”?!)
4. Plenty of fresh green juice. Are you on the green juice train yet? If not, baby, catch that wave!
3. Sex outdoors. HEY! You only live once! (If you don’t believe in reincarnation…)
2. A killer guacamole recipe so you don’t have to show up at dinner parties empty-handed!
1. A few pairs of fantastic knickers. You know what? Even if you’re not planning on showing your undergarments to a sexy stranger (or a sexy anyone!), wearing magnificent knickers just makes you feel SO good.